Visualizer™ Digital Video Test Pattern
The Visualizer™ test pattern offers a comprehensive way to evaluate more than 20 key parameters of video quality from a single test card. Users can easily identify processing errors throughout the digital signal chain. It is available in any resolution or frame rate, including 4K and UHD, and in any color space, including HDR spaces (PQ and HLG, 2020 or P3) and professional production spaces like S-Log3, Log-C, ACES and even XYZ.
The chart is available as an uncompressed video sequence, or loaded on a Sarnoff® Test Sequence Generator, or in streaming form (ProRes, v210 in mov, HEVC/H.265, MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 and MPEG-2 video) for transport stream-based workflows.
High Dynamic Range ( HDR ) / Wide Color Gamut ( WCG ) and Standard Dynamic Range (SDR) versions of the pattern are available. The Visualizer is available in any color space, including
- PQ/2020, HDR10 (SMPTE ST-2084, ITU BT.2100)
- HLG/2020 (ITU BT.2100)
- P3, P3D65
- Any other color space
Contact SRI to order the Visualizer pattern that works best for your testing requirements.
Identify the quality issues that matter most to you. See specific test parameter demos below.
- Frequency response: Reveal upstream down conversions, scaling, and deinterlacing
- Compression fidelity: Measure and quantify compression levels in real time - watch a demo
- Subjective image fidelity: Perform a rapid check of system integrity - watch a demo
- Display gamma: Measure monitor gamma quickly - watch a demo
- Color conversion accuracy: Verify colorspace conversions - watch a demo
- Skipped frames: Detect repeated and dropped frames - watch a demo
- Chroma subsampling: Determine the Chroma subsampling being used (4:2:2, 4:2:0, 4:1:1…) - watch a demo
- Color matrix mismatch: Determine high-definition (709) and standard-definition (601) color space conversion errors - watch a demo
- White clipping: Determine if highlights are being blown out - watch a demo
- Chroma upsampling: Reveal how missing chroma samples are interpolated - watch a demo
- Black clipping: Reveal black clipping and accurately set monitor black level - watch a demo
- Bit depth: Detect 10-bit to 8-bit truncation - watch a demo
- Color phase and gain: Calibrate NTSC monitor color settings - watch a demo
- Field dominance: Definitively determine field order reversal - watch a demo
- Lip-sync: Measure and quantify the synchronization offset between audio and video - watch a demo
- Chroma motion error: Demonstrate incorrect processing of Chroma in interlaced 4:2:0 systems - watch a demo
- Noise: See how an encoder handles noise - watch a demo
|Image File Formats||
The image files (Media Files) are available as 10b RGX DPX or 10b YUV 'v210'.
In streaming form, the Visualizer test pattern allows users to quickly test cable, satellite, IPTV or transcoder systems with the same comprehensive tool widely used by broadcasters and content creators. The streams are available as MPEG-2 transport streams in a variety of resolutions and frame rates and are suitable for testing both file-based and streaming systems.
Because the original Visualizer pattern measures the effects of compression, compressing it with a normal encoder would render much of it useless. This version of the pattern has been specially compressed using custom SRI encoders. Compression-sensitive features remain intact for easy end-to-end visual system troubleshooting.
Pass the compressed Visualizer pattern through a system to measure any of the above test parameters as well as compression transcoding and network quality loss.