Drug discovery moves promising ideas from the lab toward validation as effective medical treatments. SRI Biosciences brings more than five decades of interdisciplinary scientific expertise to the National Institutes of Health, other government agencies, foundations, and private-sector clients. At all stages of drug discovery, SRI researchers rapidly identify and optimize new drug leads and move them toward preclinical development.
Areas of Expertise
- Lead identification and optimization
- Target validation and assay development
- Molecular biology
- Immunology and inflammation
- Medicinal chemistry services
- Custom chemical synthesis and radiolabeling services
- Computer-aided drug design
- Molecular modeling
Drugs discovered and developed by SRI through collaborative partnerships include
- Halfan® (halofantrine), a malaria treatment
- VIRA-A/Ara-A (vidarabine), an antiviral drug active against Herpes simplex and Varicella zoster viruses
- Targretin® (bexarotene) and Folotyn® (pralatrexate), lymphoma treatments
- Tirapazamine, to target tumor hypoxia
Harnessing formalized expert knowledge to construct sophisticated deep learning architectures
Partnering to Advance Therapy for Radiation Exposure
SRI is developing a method to enable rapid, large-scale response to a bioterrorism threat or an infectious disease epidemic.
SRI’s Brown Laboratory is using selected peptides as “fishing hooks” to identify novel cell surface features.