Pfefferbaum Animal Imaging Facility
The SRI International Pfefferbaum Animal Imaging Facility (PAIF) houses a small animal whole body MRI system (7.0T) used by SRI researchers in areas of addiction, aging, brain imaging, impact of HIV and alcohol on the brain, molecular genetics, neuroscience, neurodegenerative diseases, sleep, and translational medicine.
How to Work with Us
PAIF operates as a service center available on a pay-for-use basis for approved outside researchers. Collaborations with SRI researchers are invited. Contact us to get started.
SRI Biosciences also provides small animal MRI services to support clients’ preclinical programs.
Equipment and Methods
Bruker Pharmascan® 70/16 platform, with Paravision® software and a wide range of volume and surface coils
- MRI and MRS protocols optimized for small rodents (such as rats, mice, gerbils)
- 16 cm clear bore size with 72 mm free access for the animal
- Actively shielded gradient system
- High-performance BGA-9S gradients with high amplitude, slew rates, shim strengths, and duty cycles optimized for small animal imaging
Variety of MR methods available
- T1 and T2 weighted structural images
- Diffusion Tensor Imaging (DTI)
- Functional MRI (fMRI)
- MR spectroscopy (MRS)